Friday, November 2, 2007

Social Skills Training

Wow, thank you Julie Donnelly! For so many of us, we think that we are familiar with the techniques that were covered; however the specific examples that Dr. Donnelly provided were terrific. I especially like the alternative presentation formats (cereal box, train, etc) for social stories. It was refreshing to hear new and different manners of approaching proven topics. I appreciated the different types of social stories that you provided; the cloze sentence format was new to me and was a great way to combine a social story with a predictable story. The variety of approaches to teaching theory of mind were very much appreicated. Thank you!

1 comment:

Christi said...

I appreciated the workshop provided by Dr. Donnelly also. The theory of mind material was of special interest to me as I often try to explain to others the "why" of how some of my students act or react. The motivations or lack of such is very confusing to their classroom teachers. On occasion we have to revisit the thought process that the student is not "doing it on purpose, just to irritate you." I will try to incorporate the teaching of theory of mind to my students.
Being able to attend these trainings from out here is Southwest Kansas is not something I take lightly. Thank you to all who make it a possibility.